Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Beautifully Broken


Gov't Mule started as a side project for Warren Haynes (guitar) and Allen Woody (bass) from the Allman Brothers Band. They thought it was a shame that there weren't any power trio's anymore. With drummer Mat Abs they formed Gov't Mule and released there self-titled debut album in 1995.

The band seem to be succesfull in the Jamband scene. But after Woody's death in august 2000, to two remaining members doubted if they would continu. Luckily they decided to go on with the band and not ot give it up. While having played with many replacements since then, they ended up with Andy Hess on bass and added Danny Louis on keyboard.

I liked Mule before they were a quartet, to me they played not hard rock but more a hard blues. So I was curious about how they would sound. I like them better as a quartet, they have more room for melody somehow. Danny Louis to me is one of the most gifted keyboard players out there at this moment and Andy Hess ads more to the Gov't Mule punch, or should I say kick.

I decided to upload a video to let you know what I'm talking about. This gig was recorded on the 9th of September 2005 by the legendary Rockpalast and aired on T.V.

On YouTube
Thorazine Shuffle


More Mule?
Gov't Mule website
Live Mule Tracks available

No comments: