Sunday, December 23, 2007

The Craplist

The Crap list is a new thing I came up with, instead off giving stars to things you think are good. You give brown stars to things that suck. Meaning that getting a ***** brownstar rating is the ultimate crapfest. No stars means it gets my recommendations. This time I would like to start with three movies I've just seen.

The Brave One ***
Hmmm, Jodie Foster. It seems that she has dibs on all female victim roles, and once again. After The Accused, Panic Room and what not I find it boring to watch. But besides that it's just a nice movie, one that gets you trough time. Here's the plot outline: A woman struggles to recover from a brutal attack by setting out on a mission for revenge.



The Bucketlist
It's been a long time since I've seen a mature movie. Just a movie for grown ups. With good acting, and a basic story.

Plot Outline: Two terminally ill men escape from a cancer ward and head off on a road trip with a wish list of to-dos before they die.

Once again there's proof that good actors can make or break a movie. While I am Legend lacked any good acting this movies thrives on it. Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman steal the show. This might even be a guyflick! Just for dudes no chicks. This movie doesn't get any brownstars because good, it's one to watch and not wipe your but with.



I am Legend ****
I'm not a legend nor do I plan to be. But it seems that Will Smith has the urge to only play in movies with what could be an epic role. But like I said could be 'epic role'. While I've been suffering form Will Smith fatigue ever since 'Wild Wild West' his characters are always shallow or have this HBO-movie family drama feel over them. I've always had the feeling that he's trying to be the new Bill Cosby. Not so much trying to be funny, but like trying to be like the Huxtables. But back to I am Legend!

The plot outline: Years after a plague kills most of humanity and transforms the rest into monsters, the sole survivor in New York City struggles valiantly to find a cure.

But an Hollywood movie wouldn't be a movie unless Robert Neville (Will Smith) also lost his wife and daughter. Which is a reason to give us a crapload of flashback with no other purpose then to show he had a wife and a kid and he's sad about having lost them (HBO Familydrama). But, he has something that reminds him about them and that's the German Sheppard called Sam (Samantha). She, off course, is his companion. That itself is good *** brownstars. Will's acting hasn't really been good in this movie, it's shallow, far from being convincing as an survivor and it seems that the director wanted a Tom Hanks Cast Away kind of feel to the movie. Now if that's what you like the go see it. I don't recommend it, but go see it..

No comments: